"All war is deception"

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

All-Time Favorite: C&C Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge




Oh, where do I start? This game holds so much memory and nostalgia.

I first encountered Red Alert 2 when I was around 7 or 8 in an internet cafe. Or rather Yuri's Revenge, I think, was my first introduction to the game. It was also my first introduction to the Command and Conquer universe.

Red Alert 2 is the sequel to Red Alert (obviously). The game is set in an alternate history where Hitler was killed by a time traveling Einstein. After the Soviets were rebuffed by the Allies in the first game, the Soviets took vengeance by invading the United States led by a Ronald Reagan analogue, President Dugan.

The Soviets used their psychic adviser Yuri to mind control the counterattack nuclear missile silos and crippling the United States. There, you enter as an upstart American commander of the American and soon Allied forces.

Funny instance, the second time I loaded up the game, I had completely forgotten that right-click did not move the units. The game used left click to select and move. I kept deselecting units for almost a couple hours.

When we moved to the States, I managed to score a complete CD set of Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge.

I rebought the game again with Command and Conquer: The First Decade and again with EA Origin's Command and Conquer: Ultimate Collection. It is probably the one of the fewest games I have ever rebought in my life.

With the First Decade, I created many mods. The game has awesome mod support. It was also the game I modeled primarily after for the real time strategy game I was designing and developing called Ground Zero CLASH.

It's probably my all-time favorite game of all time, and not just real time strategy. Undertale comes close, though.

Get the Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection [Online Game Code] here. It's a lot cheaper than just buying Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge separately. By doing so, you support Faction Calculus. If you don't like us... just google it or something.

Factions:
Allies
Soviets
Yuri (YR Expansion)

Mods:
Mental Omega

No comments:

Post a Comment